Getting in a rut

Well here I am, 11 days post-op. And I am finding myself getting into a rut. I wake up at the same time everyday, start with my blood thinner shot, eat breakfast, take my morning meds, sometimes have a mid-morning outing, eat lunch, have an afternoon outing, take a nap, take my afternoon meds, eat dinner, take my evening meds, go to sleep.

My energy levels are still in the toilet...I feel like I should be able to do more throughout the day. I want to do more, but physically I just can't. For example, after visiting three stores yesterday afternoon and roaming around them, I returned home totally exhausted and feeling a bit light-headed. It is really frustrating because my gout attack is almost over with and I keep telling myself that I need to be out and doing more than I am. Am I putting too much pressure on myself? I don't know.

I am anxiously awaiting my post-op follow-up with my surgeon on Thursday. I am hoping he clears me to return to the gym so I can get back to the exercise bike and getting more miles on my legs. I know the medical team says walk, walk, walk after surgery but I would rather spin the miles away on the bike than walk with nowhere to go.

I know it is not only a physical journey, but a mental one as well. And it is the mental struggle that I am dealing with right now. I am noticing how frequently we are bombarded with commercials and advertisements for food on the television, radio, and in print media. We have made food such an integral part of our lives that (I believe) most people have forgotten that food is simply fuel for our bodies and should not be a major focus for our day-to-day lives. I think if we looked at food as fuel, we--as a society--would not have this struggle with obesity. This is not to say I have accepted this mindset completely; heck, a nice thick, juicy hamburger sounds pretty damn good to me right now. But I know that whole grain foods, fruits, and vegetables are going to do me more good in the long run than a burger will. So I sit back and long for a nice, wood-fired piece of salmon.

On the bright side of things, I have been weighing myself every other day. And I am pleased to report that two days ago, I crossed the threshold back into the 300s. One step down, many more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment